09 Feb BBF: 121 Looking After your Customers the Kennards Way with Angus Kennard
Our guest this week has hit the highest heights of the corporate world, having just been hired as the CEO of the family business this month. Angus Kennard is now presiding over Australia’s leading equipment hire business, Kennards, which has 165 branches across Australia and New Zealand.
Kennards’ record of sustained growth is incredible: over the last 20 years they have doubled in size every 5 years. Angus shared with us some great insight about what has made Kennards so successful:
- If you have a family business, don’t just hire members of your family from the beginning. Have them work elsewhere to experience a different environment.
- Don’t get too hung up on growth. Growth is an outcome. Set company goals to look after the customers first and the growth will follow.
- Make sure your employees share core common values. That doesn’t mean they have to think the same, but there needs to be a common trust among each member of the workforce.
- Be willing to break company rules in order to achieve the goals you have set out to achieve for your customers.
- “You never hear of a company going broke because they don’t owe money”
- Every person has their time in a business. If someone is a good entrepreneur it doesn’t mean they’ll be good at running the business once it grows. The type of leader that a business needs changes over time.
In this episode of Business Brain Food you will learn:
- The importance of values to a firm
- How Kennards funded their incredible growth
- The danger of not innovating
- How technology is enabling more Kennards outlets
- How to build a business plan
- The potential of printing out houses
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Register for Ben’s workshops across Australia, “The 5-stage business growth blueprint”. The first event is March 1st : http://www.businessfasttrack.com.au
- Kennards’ facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KennardsHire/
- Kennards’ website: https://www.kennards.com.au/
- Ben’s Daily Business Tips: http://www.dbtpodcast.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/businessbrainfood
- Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/businessbrainfood
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/bfewtrell
- iTunes: http://actioncoachanz.com/itunes
- Stitcher: http://actioncoachanz.com/stitcher
You could do a lot worse than going into work tomorrow and setting your business the Kennard goal of: “Make every customer a raving fan”!
Also, if you are enjoying these Business Brain Food podcasts, then make sure to share them via social media sites or email the links to family and friends. A lot of time and effort goes into producing each of these podcasts with the goal in mind of the more people we can inspire about business the better. You can help us do just that!
Until next time, have a profitable day.
(02) 9111 5000