24 May BBF 135: Turning Entrepreneurs into Authors with Jacqui Pretty
Ever wanted to write a book but you don’t have the time and you don’t know how to get it out there?
Our guest this week will help you get over this. Jacqui Pretty has made it her business to realise the ambitions of entrepreneurs big and small by helping them get their books to market, so it was great to speak to her to get her insight on the marketplace. Read on for some great tips, and as you’ll see, it’s easier than you think…
- You should see a book as more than just something that needs to sell. It is a low-risk way of clients getting to know you and so is a great tool to help you upsell a more expensive service.
- Don’t worry about giving away too much in a book. By delivering genuine value you earn the right to upsell your services.
- Being the author of a book automatically gives your voice credibility in the marketplace.
- You only need to put in the work to produce a book once and then forever it can serve as an advertisement for your business/service.
- Always create an outline of your chapters and then drill down further into headings and sub-headings. Sitting in front of a blank page is a surefire way to waste time and to lose focus.
- Consider a print-on-demand service. This can help you hedge your bets when it comes to publishing.
In this episode of Business Brain Food you will learn:
- How a book can help you stand out from the noise
- How long it should take to write a book
- The ideal length of a book
- Is it worth using a ghostwriter?
- Ebooks V ‘real’ books
- Different publishing deals
- The power of a distributor
- Is Amazon worth it?
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Free business training from Ben. June dates in Newcastle, Brisbane and Melbourne. More information here
- Ben’s free business Ebook: http://www.maxmyprofit.com.au
- Jacqui’s site: http://www.grammarfactory.com
- Jacqui’s Guide: http://grammarfactory.com/awesome-book-guide/
- The Price of Self-Publishing Article: http://grammarfactory.com/self-publishing/costs-much-price-self-publishing-book/
- All previous BBF episodes & show notes can be found at http://www.businessbrainfood.com.au
- Facebook: facebook.com/businessbrainfood
- Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/businessbrainfood
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/bfewtrell
- Subscribe to BBF on iTunes
- Subscribe to BBF on Stitcher
There are many different ways of getting a book to market and the benefits can be huge for your business. Take on board what Jacqui said and start writing!
Also, if you are enjoying these Business Brain Food podcasts, then make sure to share them via social media sites or email the links to family and friends. A lot of time and effort goes into producing each of these podcasts with the goal in mind of the more people we can inspire about business the better. You can help us do just that!
Until next time, have a profitable day.
(02) 9111 5000