30 Mar BBF: 083 Simple Emails Double Sales with Joshua Belanger
Joshua Belanger is living proof of the power of email marketing. Originally a Wall Street options broker, he used email marketing to reinvent himself as an options-trading adviser to the public.
He now has a big enough following to be regularly quoted by the likes of the Wall Street Journal and Reuters, while his own website Option Sizzle continues to go from strength to strength.
Here are some of Joshua’s top tips:
- Don’t go overboard with bells and whistles. The more obstacles you remove from the process, the easier it is to maintain regular output.
- Most mass-email software is similar. Don’t waste too much time worrying which one is best.
- Leave people wanting more from your content so they become active rather than passive.
- Manage subscribers’ expectations from the very beginning, i.e. be honest with how often you will be sending them emails.
- Opt outs are not always a bad thing. Don’t allow your strategy to be driven by the need to avoid them.
- Repeat business is more easy than you think. If someone has bought once, don’t be afraid to try to sell to them again.
Joshua’s strategy is unashamedly aggressive. He focuses on the simplicity of daily output over any concerns about offending his subscribers. To him, someone who unsubscribes would never have been a paying customer anyway, so any strategy should not concentrate on trying to placate these people too much.
In this episode of Business Brain Food you will learn:
- The potential impact of capturing emails
- How to design a mailout
- How to properly understand your audience
- The pros and cons of free giveaways
- Average email open rates
- How to be entertaining in short form
- The optimum length of an email
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Free, no-obligation business coaching chat with a member of Ben’s team: (http://actioncoachanz.com/free-business-coaching-session)
- 8 recurring themes of leadership and culture: (http://actioncoachanz.com/8-recurring-themes-of-leadership-and-culture-lessons-i-learned-from-john-eales)
- Joshua Belanger’s site: (http://www.optionsizzle.com)
- Ben’s Daily Business Tips podcast (http://www.dbtpodcast.com)
- Sales Made Simple Workshops with Ben (http://actioncoachanz.com/salesmadesimple)
- Leave feedback on this podcast and receive a free business coaching CD from Ben. Winners are also entered into a draw for a DVD pack worth 500 AUD. Email screenshot of your feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook (www.facebook.com/businessbrainfood)
- Business Brain Food Facebook Group (www.facebook.com/groups/businessbrainfood)
- Twitter (https://twitter.com/bfewtrell)
- ActionCOACH (http://actioncoachanz.com/itunes)
- ActionCOACH (http://actioncoachanz.com/stitcher)
Despite what some people might say, email marketing is still an immensely powerful tool, and for many companies can still be the most important part of the marketing mix. If you want to maximize the power of email marketing for your business, listen to Joshua!
Also, if you are enjoying these Business Brain Food podcasts, then make sure to share them via social media sites or email the links to family and friends. A lot of time and effort goes into producing each of these podcasts with the goal in mind of the more people we can inspire about business the better. You can help us do just that!
Until next time, have a profitable day.
(02) 9111 5000